The latest news on the near-simultaneous militant attacks in Egypt's restive northern Sinai Peninsula that have killed at least 30 soldiers:

10:35 a.m. (835 GMT GMT)

Egypt's military spokesman, Brig. Gen. Mohammed Samir, says fighting is still underway in the restive northern Sinai Peninsula, where militants unleashed a wave of attacks targeting the military on Wednesday morning, hitting army checkpoints, including one with a suicide car bombing.

Security and army officials have said that at least 30 troops died in the wave of attacks.

Samir says that clashes are continuing in the area between the armed forces and the militants.

His statement put the number of soldiers killed so far at 10, but the conflicting numbers could not immediately be reconciled in these early stages of the aftermath and an ongoing fluid situation on the ground.