The Moroccan migrant accused of involvement in Tunisia's Bardo Museum massacre has insisted on his innocence and refused to voluntarily be turned over to Tunisian authorities.

Abdelmajid Touil, 22, had his first hearing Friday in Milan after police arrested him on a Tunisian arrest warrant, accusing him of helping plot and execute the March 18 Bardo attack, which killed 22 people.

His lawyer, Silvia Fiorentino, told reporters afterward that Touil had nothing to do with the massacre and had been in Italy ever since he arrived with rescued migrants Feb. 17.

She said Touil refused to be handed over to Tunisian authorities, setting the stage for an extradition procedure that may be complicated by Italy's refusal to extradite people to countries with the death penalty.