SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – The Dominican Republic has announced the temporary closure of five of its consulates in neighboring Haiti because of security concerns.
The move comes a week after at least 10,000 Haitians marched in Port-au-Prince protesting what they consider chronic mistreatment of their countrymen in the Dominican Republic.
During last week's protest, one man managed to climb on the roof of a consulate and rip down a Dominican flag. It was burned by the cheering crowd of Haitians.
Dominican foreign ministry spokesman Miguel Medina said Wednesday the government believes that "aggression" against the consulates puts staff at risk. He said the five consulates in Haiti will be closed until the administration of Haitian President Michel Martelly "provides guarantees of adequate protection."
The Dominican Embassy in Port-au-Prince will remain open.