World

Colombian government rejects FARC rebels' unilateral cease-fire

FILE - In this May 16, 2014 file photo, negotiators from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), left, and Colombia's government, right, give a press conference under a sign that reads in Spanish "Peace Talks" in Havana, Cuba. Colombia's government has rebuffed a unilateral truce declared on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2014 by the country's largest rebel group, saying conditions demanded by the guerrillasâ are unacceptable until a peace deal is reached. Sitting at the table, from left, are chief of the western bloc of the FARC Pablo Catatumbo, FARC chief negotiator Ivan Marquez, Norwegian guarantor Dag Nylander, Cuban guarantor Rodolfo Benitez Verson, head of Colombia's government team Humberto de la Calle, government negotiator Sergio Jaramillo, and government negotiator Gen. Jorge Mora. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa, File)

FILE - In this May 16, 2014 file photo, negotiators from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), left, and Colombia's government, right, give a press conference under a sign that reads in Spanish "Peace Talks" in Havana, Cuba. Colombia's government has rebuffed a unilateral truce declared on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2014 by the country's largest rebel group, saying conditions demanded by the guerrillasâ are unacceptable until a peace deal is reached. Sitting at the table, from left, are chief of the western bloc of the FARC Pablo Catatumbo, FARC chief negotiator Ivan Marquez, Norwegian guarantor Dag Nylander, Cuban guarantor Rodolfo Benitez Verson, head of Colombia's government team Humberto de la Calle, government negotiator Sergio Jaramillo, and government negotiator Gen. Jorge Mora. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa, File)

Colombia's government on Thursday rebuffed a unilateral truce declared by the country's largest rebel group, saying the guerrillas' conditions are unacceptable until a peace deal is reached.

The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia on Wednesday said it would lay down its weapons for an unlimited period to bolster peace talks that have been held in Cuba for the past two years.

But Latin America's oldest and strongest insurgency also said it would call off the cease-fire if its units were attacked by Colombia's U.S.-backed military, a condition that appears to doom the gesture due to the government's longstanding refusal to enter a bilateral truce out of fear it would give the rebels an opportunity to rearm.

President Juan Manuel Santos said he couldn't accept the rebels' demand the truce be verified by several Latin American nations and by the international Red Cross. Such outside verification would have to wait until a deal to end hostilities is reached, he said in a statement.

Still, Santos said he values the rebels' gesture as a way to begin de-escalating a half-century-old conflict that still claims hundreds of civilian lives every year and is fueled by the smuggling of cocaine and other criminal activity.

More On This...

It's unclear where the government's response leaves the cease-fire, which is set to take effect midnight Saturday.

Although the rebel army known as the FARC has declared temporary cease-fires before, around Christmas and elections, this is the first time since the 1980s it has offered to indefinitely lay down its weapons nationwide.

The FARC's announcement in Havana came on the same day that the Cuban and U.S. governments announced they would restore diplomatic ties after five decades of U.S embargo, indicating major progress toward ending another Cold War conflict. Analysts saw the timing as a coincidence.

"The FARC proposal responds to a totally different, Colombian, dynamic," said Adam Isacson at the Washington Office on Latin America think tank.

The FARC gesture comes as both sides try to recommit themselves to talks that were almost derailed following the capture last month of an army general, the highest-ranking officer ever held by the FARC.

Santos briefly suspended negotiations, but the crisis was overcome after the FARC freed the general two weeks later.

The two sides already have reached agreements on agrarian reform, political participation for the FARC and how to jointly combat illicit drugs in what was long the world's largest cocaine producer.

But some of the thorniest issues remain unresolved, including how the FARC would lay down its arms and whether commanders would face prosecution for atrocities and drug trafficking.

Thousands of Colombians, led by still-powerful former President Alvaro Uribe, marched over the weekend in major cities to reject any amnesty that would allow rebel leaders to escape justice for killings, kidnappings and drug trafficking.

Uribe, whose conservative government launched the military offensive credited with pushing the FARC deeper into the jungles, on Wednesday called the guerrillas' conditioning of its cease-fire on the government's withholding of its own firepower a form of blackmail.

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram