JOHANNESBURG – The South African military says Congolese and United Nations forces are holding an area of eastern Congo that was taken from rebels and there is a lull in fighting between the two sides.
The South African and Tanzanian militaries are contributing to a U.N. brigade with a mandate to attack the M23 rebels.
The South African military said in a statement Friday that the brigade and Congolese troops were holding the "Triple Tower" mountain and the general area of Kibati village.
Brig. Gen. Xolani Mabanga, the South African military spokesman, says there are currently no "offensives" by either side.
Last week, the rebels declared a unilateral cease-fire following a week of heavy fighting. Congo's government wants M23 disbanded.