YANGON, Myanmar – Myanmar's government says it has evidence that some individuals and organizations instigated recent deadly violence in the western state of Rakhine, but did not name them.
State television broadcast an announcement Wednesday night from the office of President Thein Sein saying the suspects include a group or groups that previously signed a cease-fire agreement with the government.
The announcement said 89 people were killed, 136 were injured, and 32,231 were made homeless when more than 5,000 houses were burned down in violence between Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims between Oct. 21 and 30. It did not report any new clashes.
Tensions have simmered in western Myanmar since clashes first broke out in June after a Rakhine woman was allegedly raped and murdered by three Muslim men. About 75,000 people who lost homes or fled those clashes still live in camps for the internally displaced.