A terror alert for Americans traveling and living in Europe remains in effect after the U.S. State Department issued the warning earlier this month.

The State Department's counterterrorism coordinator said there is no reason to rescind the alert since the alleged European terror plot is still active. Concerns have centered around terrorists plotting to carry out a Mumbai-style massacre that took place in 2008.

Britain's current terror threat level remains unchanged at "severe," meaning an attack is highly likely. Senior intelligence officials confirmed earlier this month that a list of targets includes the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, luxury Hotel Adlon near Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, and Berlin's Central Station.

State Department Coordinator for Counterterrorism Daniel Benjamin told journalists in London on Thursday that the American government's position on the issue has not changed.

"We don't view the conditions as warranting us rescinding the (travel) alert," he said.

The alert is one step below a formal travel warning advising Americans not to visit Europe.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.