OTR Interviews

Who was Navy Yard killer Aaron Alexis? Brushes with law in Texas and Seattle sheds little light on motive

Who was the Navy Yard mass killing suspect and why did he open fire in the Washington Navy Yard?


This is a rush transcript from "On the Record," September 16, 2013. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN, FOX NEWS HOST: We are getting new information about the Navy Yard killer. Tonight, Aaron Alexis' former roommate speaking from Ft. Worth, Texas.


UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He had three different locations, three different addresses. I moved out. He moved out with me and moved. It's a friend. He's my big brother. He teaches me a lot. I admire him.


VAN SUSTEREN: But Texas police records show Alexis has an arrest record. KDFW reporter Natalie Solis is live in Fort Worth with the very latest. Natalie, what's the story on his arrest record?

NATALIE SOLIS, KDFW-FOX DALLAS FORT WORTH REPORTER: Right, Greta, I can tell you he was arrested September 4, 2010. A woman told Ft. Worth police that someone fired into her apartment. The bullet came in through the floor, up to the ceiling. She just happened to be sitting there, saw the puff of smoke. Police went and talked to Aaron Alexis. He told them he had been cooking and cleaning his gun at the same time and his hands got a little slippery and he accidentally discharged the weapon.

He did tell police -- excuse me, police did say they saw the gun taken apart, that there was a cleaning kit next to it. But they did also talk to this woman. She told police that she was terrified of him. She said he had confronted her in the parking lot of the apartment complex, and he said that she was making too much noise. She told police that she believed the whole thing was intentional. The D.A. found that there was no recklessness and so they did not file a case. And Greta, I should also mention he did have his concealed handgun license.

VAN SUSTEREN: Did he live with anyone down in Texas, because he's not originally from Texas?

SOLIS: Exactly. He's not originally from Texas. He spent time in Thailand and befriended a Thai family here that owned a Thai restaurant. We understand he spoke Thai quite well. He liked to practice with that Thai family. They helped him out a lot. He lived with them for some time. He helped out in their restaurant. He wasn't a paid employee, but he did work for tips. And we're also told that he was also taken in by a Buddhist temple and the monks there really took him under their wing. So there were a lot of people in this community that helped him, befriended him. But he did have this specific interest in the Thai community.

VAN SUSTEREN: How did he make it to D.C.? Was this just a part-time or new job, or had he severed his ties, do you know, with Texas?

SOLIS: Right, and that was one of the questions we asked. As a matter of fact, I was told by a friend he was last year at this naval air station about six to eight months ago, that he still had access here and they would go shopping.

And the rest after that, according to friends, is a little bit buzz fuzzy. To their knowledge he was working with a contractor. It was that contractor that kind of had him moving around. From what I have heard he didn't have a lot of close contact with them. And so they were a little bit out of the loop as to what exactly all his movements were and why he ended up in D.C.

VAN SUSTEREN: Natalie, thank you very much.

Now "On the Record" takes you to Seattle, Washington, where Aaron Alexis also had a brush with the law. Q13 Fox News Seattle anchor David Rose joins us live with that part of the story. David, at some point he had some trouble in your neck of the woods. What was it and when?

DAVID ROSE, XCPQ FOX SEATTLE ANCHOR: When you look at his court records, two things emerge. One, he was a horrible driver. He was ticketed for speeding and even caused a wreck on a highway here. And two, he had a temper and he wasn't afraid to pull out a gun and express his rage. He was arrested in 2004 after he was upset with construction workers over a parking situation on a home they were working on. He went outside, pulled his gun from his waistband, according to the police report, and fired three shots into their tires and then calmly walked back inside. Detectives couldn't find him for a month. When they did he said that he thought they were disrespecting him.

And so it gives you an idea that he had a little bit of paranoia and that he went into a blind rage. He actually said he blacked out and didn't remember pulling the trigger.

VAN SUSTEREN: Was he charged with a crime or did the police look the other way and say, fine, don't do it again?

ROSE: This is where it gets murky, Greta. And I'm no lawyer so perhaps you can provide more insight into this. The police referred the case of malicious mischief to the city attorney's office. The city attorney says they never got the case. So then after a year it was dismissed. He was originally going to face a couple of misdemeanors for damaging property. But the case was dismissed and after the year the files were wiped away. So the trail has gone cold. We are still trying to track that down tonight.

VAN SUSTEREN: It sounds like someone dropped the ball between the referring police and the prosecutor. Why was he living in Seattle?

ROSE: He had family here. We went by the house today and family members that we think was his grandmother and his aunt were not willing to talk to us here. And so at the time he was working for the Navy and he was centered here in Beacon Hill. We have not tracked down many people that knew him. I haven't talked to anybody that knew him personally. Family members were not willing to talk to the media today. So far we are trying to put a picture together of just who this guy was.

VAN SUSTEREN: Well, there is still a lot to learn. Thank you, David very much.