After the disaster that was the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung had to get the Galaxy S8 right, which meant lots of testing, especially where the battery is concerned. And it looks as though it worked. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ do not explode, in fact they are both great handsets.
There is an unusual warning label stuck to the non-removable battery inside the S8, though. It was brought to out attention by The Verge, and can be clearly seen in the image above and below from iFixit's teardown of the handset. We see the usual labels stating not to set it on fire, not to exceed a certain temperature range, and not to stab it with a screwdriver (don't dismantle it). But there's also a "don't give this battery to dogs" label.
Why put such a label on a battery that isn't meant to be removed? Well, Samsung is just being cautious and as clear as possible that the rechargeable battery should under no circumstances be given to a dog as a chew toy.
More From PCmag
The dog would probably enjoy chewing the battery initially, but then the irritation and burning would start. This is a high output battery, so there's also a chance it could explode or catch fire while being chewed. There is no scenario where chewing an S8 battery (or any other battery for that matter) ends well for the dog.
Apparently Samsung started including the "No Dogs" label back in 2014. Both the Galaxy S5 and the Galaxy Note 4 include it. What we don't know is why the label was added. Maybe Samsung received reports of dogs being injured from chewing phones?
The only other battery manufacturer to occasionally include a dog label is LG as far as we know. But regardless of whether the label exists or not, unless you open up your handset you'll never see it. Hopefully commonsense comes into play where most smartphone owners are concerned and no phones are ever purposefully given to a dog to play with. Real chew toys are also much cheaper than smartphones.