A 15-month-old toddler from Spain had both of her legs amputated after doctors misdiagnosed her with the flu, when she really had blood poisoning, the Barcelona Reporter reported.
An organization called The Patient Advocate of Andalusia, Spain filed a lawsuit against the Cadiz hospital on behalf of the girl’s parents.
The toddler was taken to the emergency room in November when her parents became concerned about their daughter’s high fever. According to the lawsuit, the hospital diagnosed the girl with influenza A after examining her, but did not perform any tests such as "radiography, ultrasound, CT scan or MRI, or even a blood or urine test."
The parents brought their daughter home, but at that point she "started vomiting, convulsing, and purple spots appeared on her left chest and neck," according to the lawsuit.
The parents returned to the same hospital, and the same doctor who examined the girl before another doctor was called in. He admitted the child to the hospital where she spent 56 days. In December, her legs were amputated due to "severe septic shock."