ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Quick-thinking neighbors were able to rescue a St. Petersburg family from an apartment fire.
Antonio Harris sprinted across the courtyard in his underwear after a neighbor alerted him Monday morning. The 24-year-old climbed a pole to reach the second-floor apartment of Ashley Stafford and her three children.
Stafford was able to hand her 1-year-old boy and two girls, ages 2 and 6, to Harris, who gave them to cousins gathering below.
The children were treated for smoke inhalation but not seriously hurt.
The fire began on the first floor after a toddler tipped over a candle. Four apartments were seriously damaged, displacing 15 people.