HANALEI, Hawaii – Here is the list of top 10 beaches for 2009 from Stephen P. Leatherman, director of Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research, also known as Dr. Beach. He has compiled the list annually since 1991 using 50 criteria, including water quality and temperature, cleanliness, weather, sand, safety and facilities.
1. Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii
2. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Fla.
3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, N.Y.
4. Coronado Beach, San Diego.
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii.
6. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
7. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, N.C.
8. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Fla.
9. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.