Waxing Mishap Sparks $160 Million Lawsuit

A New Jersey woman, who said she got second and third-degree burns after using hot wax made by Sally Hansen, is now going after the company.

Carmen Canas filed a $160 million lawsuit against Sally Hansen and its manufacturer Wednesday in Brooklyn District Court in New York, WPIX.com reported.

In the lawsuit, Canas claims the hot wax boiled over in its container as she attempted to remove it from her microwave. As a result, Canas said she sustained severe burns on her lower back, breast and right thigh. The 38-year-old went for treatment at St. Mary’s Hospital in Hoboken, N.J. and was later transferred to a burn unit of another hospital, according to the news station.

"It is unconscionable, how multi-million dollar corporations are placing such dangerous products into the stream of commerce without taking into consideration the user's safety," her attorney, Phil Rizzuto told WPIX. .

In response to the lawsuit, a spokesperson for the parent company of Sally Hansen told WPIX the company “has not yet been served with the complaint and has not had an opportunity to review it.”

Click here to read more and see photos from WPIX.