Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Families Bury Binghamton, N.Y. Shooting Victims; New Details Emerge About Gunman

As families began burying their loved ones Sunday, more details emerged about the man who gunned down 13 people at a Binghamton, N.Y., community center before turning the gun on himself.

Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said 41-year-old Jiverly Wong had recently visited a firing range, but stressed that he doesn't know why Wong went on a shooting spree at the American Civic Association, or if he had a particular target.

The chief said the victims might have been picked at random.

Click here for photos.

Wong first came to the northwestern New York town some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s, before moving to California, Zikuski said. In 1992, Wong was arrested and convicted of fraud.

Police said Wong became an American citizen in November of 1995 and sometime after that left the country. He returned to Los Angeles Dec. 25, 1999, arriving from Tokyo, police said passport records showed.

After failing to report for work in July of 2007, Wong turned up in Binghamton, where he received a New York State drivers license, police said.

Wong was married, and later divorced while living in California, said Zikuski. Authorities said they are trying to contact his ex-wife, but declined to disclose her name.

All of the victims in the deadly shooting have been identified and the community is now beginning a long healing process, officials said.

Click here for a link to the list of victims.

"We are a nonviolent community and it's time to come together and heal," said Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan. "Our prayers and sympathies go out to everyone effected by this and we will do everything we can to heal this community.

Broome County District Attorney Gerald F. Mollen said Sunday a faster response by emergency officials wouldn't have saved any additional lives.

"We can definitely say no one was shot after the police arrival," Mollen said. "Nobody could have been saved if the police walked in the door that first minute."

Mollen said his office came to this conclusion after reviewing numerous reports, including police and autopsy information.

Zikuski said a review of calls shows police officers were at the scene five minutes before the receptionist's call. Police had earlier reported that it was that call which brought police to the immigration center.

A police commando team entered the building at 11:13 a.m. Friday, 43 minutes after the first call to police.

FOXNews.com's Michelle Maskaly and the Associated Press contributed to this report.