Indiana Teenager Critically Burned Trying to Kill Head Lice

An Indiana teenager who soaked her hair in gasoline to try to kill head lice was critically burned when the gas fumes ignited and set her head ablaze, Evansville, Ind. police said.

Eighteen-year-old Jessica Brooks is in serious condition at the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville, Ky., following Sunday night's fire at her Evansville apartment.

Police said Brooks was in her apartment's bathroom letting her hair soak in gasoline just before a pilot light from a water heater ignited the gas fumes and her hair.

Brooks' roommate told the Evansville Courier & Press that Brooks was in a medically induced coma.

Brooks and her fiance, Ronald Young, had planned to wed in May. Young suffered burns on his arms trying to extinguish the flames.