PRINCETON, N.J. – A gifted 15-year-old student from India had to be rushed to the hospital after drinking liquid nitrogen during a science class at Princeton University.
The class was part of a program run by the Connecticut-based Summer Institute for the Gifted. It isn't affiliated with the university.
The students were performing a popular experiment in which liquid nitrogen is used to make ice cream.
Nitrogen liquefies at negative 328 degrees Fahrenheit — cold enough to cause burns.
The Summer Institute said the boy was in critical condition and has been upgraded to stable.