TUCSON, Ariz. – Fire officials say an 8-year-old boy was electrocuted as fellow spectators and ballplayers rushed to get out of a storm at a Tucson ball field.
The Tucson Fire Department initially received a report that the boy had been hit by lightning.
However, department spokeswoman Capt. Tricia Tracy says the boy was standing in a puddle about 10 feet from a light pole and could have been shocked after lightning struck the pole Friday evening.
She says the boy was taken to University Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.
Police spokesman Sgt. Mark Robinson says the boy was pronounced dead Friday evening.
The boy's name hasn't been released.