N. Korea Rejects Proposal to Resume Reconciliation Talks With S. Korea

North Korea on Sunday rejected a proposal to resume stalled reconciliation talks with South Korea, while Seoul denounced the communist regime for the shooting death of a tourist that heightened tension between the divided nations.

North Korea's main newspaper, Rodong Sinmun, said in a commentary that South Korean President Lee Myung-bak's proposal to restart bilateral talks was not even worth considering. It called Lee's proposal a "deceitful" tactic to avoid taking responsibility for deteriorated ties.

The snub was another sign of strained relations between the Koreas, which intensified after a North Korean soldier fatally shot South Korean tourist Park Wang-ja Friday at a northern mountain resort.

South Korea has criticized the North for killing an innocent civilian, demanding that investigators from the South be allowed to probe the case.

"If an investigation into this tragic incident is not made, that will throw a cold blanket over all the people's expectations for progress in South-North relations," South Korea's Unification Ministry said in a statement. The ministry is responsible for ties with North Korea.

The South Korean government suspended tours by South Koreans to the resort pending an inquiry.

However, the North has refused to cooperate in a probe, saying the 53-year-old housewife ignored a soldier's warning and tried to flee. The North's tourism authorities demanded South Korea apologize for halting tours.

Tensions between the Koreas have flared since Lee, a pro-U.S. conservative, took office in February. His government has criticized human rights abuses in North Korea and has been skeptical of offering unconditional aid to the impoverished country, a sharp departure from the previous decade of liberal South Korean leaders.

Lee, however, said in a speech to parliament Friday that his government was willing to consult on how to implement accords that his predecessors reached with communist leader Kim Jong Il at summits in 2000 and 2007. Lee had earlier said he would review the accords to determine whether they are worth implementing.

The North countered Sunday that no more talks were necessary to carry out the summit agreements.

Lee "is attempting to avoid taking responsibility for worsened North-South relations and mislead public opinion to resolve a crisis with deceitful remarks," it said.

The South Korean presidential office was not immediately available to comment on the North's criticism.