SHAWNEE, Kan. – A suburban Kansas City man says he feels fine, even though a nailgun accidentally fired a 2.5 inch nail into the top of his head.
The mishap occurred last Friday while George Chandler of Shawnee, Kan., and a friend were doing a project in a back yard.
The nailgun hose became tangled, causing the powerful tool to fire one nail. Chandler said Monday he told his friend he didn't know where the nail went, but he felt a sting on the top of his head.
Soon they discovered that the nail was driven deep into Chandler's head, so they called an ambulance and he was rushed to a hospital.
"It never did really what you call hurt," the Shawnee man said Wednesday on NBC's "Today."
An emergency room doctor tried unsuccessfully to remove the nail with a pair of pliers.
"He looked at me and said, 'I need a claw hammer,"' Chandler recalled. "I thought, 'Ah, he's just teasing."'
So the doctor borrowed a claw hammer from a worker to finish the job and sent Chandler home with a few stitches.
"He got a screwdriver at the same time, and he took the screwdriver and pried the nail up a little bit and got the claw hammer," Chandler said.
He said he feels "very lucky, very, very lucky" to have escaped serious injury.