Teen Loses Hand in Homemade Pipe-Bomb Explosion

A 16-year-old Michigan boy has lost his hand in a homemade pipe-bomb explosion.

The teen was flown to a Flint hospital after the device detonated on Monday, WSGW-AM reported.

State police detectives from the Bridgeport Post told The Saginaw News the Saginaw County boy's hand was severed and shrapnel penetrated his stomach. Another boy was unharmed.

The bomb exploded when a cannon fuse, lit with a candle wick, could not be extinguished. The boy tried to throw the bomb outside when it blew up.

The bomb was made in the garage of a home in Birch Run Township, investigators said.