ROME – Luciano Pavarotti, who was admitted to an Italian hospital last week with a fever, is expected to be released "imminently" and plans to resume recording a new album, his manager said Tuesday.
Doctors have cleared the 71-year-old tenor to leave the Modena hospital where he has been undergoing tests since last Wednesday, his manager, Terri Robson, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
The opera superstar, who underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer last year, was hospitalized in his hometown after a routine examination revealed a high temperature, Robson said. She said a newspaper report that the tenor was suffering from pneumonia was "completely exaggerated."
She declined though to be more specific, citing doctor-patient confidentiality.
"He will be leaving hospital imminently," Robson said, without giving an exact date.
"He is looking forward to getting back to teaching his young singing pupils as soon as he is out of hospital and next month plans to get back into his Modena recording studio to resume work on his new album of sacred songs," she said.
Robson, who visited Pavarotti on Monday, said he was in "wonderfully high spirits" when she saw him.
Pavarotti underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer in July 2006 in a New York hospital. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most dangerous forms of the disease, though doctors said the surgery offered improved hopes for survival.
At the time of the operation, Pavarotti had been preparing to resume his farewell tour. He has made no public appearances since then.