New Mexico Man Paralyzed With Botulism Poisoning; Officials Eye Recall

A New Mexico man is paralyzed with botulism poisoning and state health officials said Wednesday they are trying to determine if he ate canned food involved in a nationwide recall.

Castleberry's Food Co. has recalled more than 90 potentially contaminated products nationwide — including canned chili, hash and stew — over fears of botulism contamination. The recall includes two years' production — tens of millions of cans — from the company's plant at Augusta, Ga.

Recall List: Castleberry’s Hot Dog Chili Sauce and Canned Meat Products

The 52-year-old man from New Mexico's Sandoval County, whose name was not released, was hospitalized July 26 and is in serious condition, able to only wiggle his toes, state health officials said.

"We can communicate with him only by him basically moving his toes," said Deborah Busemeyer, New Mexico Department of Health spokesman.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a preliminary test showed the man tested positive for botulism, Busemeyer said.

The CDC had said earlier that, as of July 22, four people had been hospitalized because of the contaminated food.

Federal Food and Drug Administration investigators believe Castleberry's failed to properly cook some or all the products involved in the recall, allowing the Clostridium botulinum bacteria to survive the canning process.