HONOLULU – The first bodies from the sinking of a 420-foot ship that ran into Typhoon Man-yi were recovered while three more survivors were found, the U.S. Coast Guard said. Nine crew members were dead or missing.
The three bodies were pulled from the water overnight where the bulk log carrier Hai Tong No. 7 went down Tuesday, 375 miles northwest of Guam, officials said Friday.
The number of survivors among the 22-member crew rose to 13, with eight receiving medical attention in the U.S. territory about 3,700 miles southwest of Hawaii.
• Monitor the situation in FOXNews.com's Natural Disasters Center.
The Coast Guard cutter Sequoia arrived on scene Friday to coordinate operations as the air and sea search continued for the remaining six crew missing members. About 100 square miles had been searched.
Survivors told authorities the ship, owned by Fuzhou Haijing Shipping, was en route from Papua New Guinea to China when the cargo began shifting as the vessel encountered 70 mph winds and 24-foot seas from the typhoon.
The search effort included U.S. military aircraft based in Japan and passing vessels.
The typhoon continued on, pounding Japan's southern Okinawa island chain Friday.
Visit FOXNews.com's Natural Disasters Center for complete coverage.