Two workers died Saturday from exposure to carbon monoxide while working on a renovation project at an aerospace plant.

The victims were contractors hired for a job at the Kidde Aerospace and Defense plant in Wilson and appeared to have been overcome by exhaust from a gasoline powered saw used to cut concrete in an unventilated area, said Commander Mike Brown of the Wilson Fire Department.

At least 17 workers were taken to Wilson Medical Center to be examined after the incident about 12:30 p.m. Officials said none appeared to be seriously injured.

Authorities haven't released the names of the victims, who worked for Wheeler Electrical Co. in Wilson.

The incident happened during work on a $3.4 million expansion of the plant to house a design and engineering department.