PENSACOLA, Fla. – A Florida hotel guest doused himself with gasoline and lit himself on fire when deputies knocked on his door, Escambia County, Fla., authorities said.
The unidentified man suffered burns on 90 percent of his body. His condition was not known.
Sheriff officials said they knocked on the man's door after the manager of the Circle Motel called authorities and said the guest wouldn't pay his bill and refused to leave Sunday afternoon.
Deputies said they had to break into the room after the man refused to open the door.
When they entered, the man was lying on a mattress, holding a red two-gallon can of gasoline above his head. He poured the gasoline over his body and lit himself on fire with a lighter.
Deputies used at least five fire extinguishers to put out the blaze.