PORTLAND, Maine – A man suspected of killing two people on the state's online sex offender registry appears to have visited the homes of other sex offenders during a five-hour gap between the killings, police said Monday.
Detectives have gathered evidence suggesting Stephen Marshall drove to homes belonging to registered sex offenders on Easter morning, said Detective Brian Strout, a state police investigator in Bangor.
The information about Marshall's travels was based on global positioning software contained on his laptop, The Canadian Press reported.
State police Sgt. Glenn Lang, who heads the Maine Computer Crimes Task Force, would not comment Monday on the report out of Canada, where Marshall lived.
Col. Craig Poulin, the state police chief, and Maine Public Safety Commissioner Michael Cantara will brief a legislative committee on Tuesday. State police said there would be no additional comment until then.
Investigators have said the 20-year-old looked up at least 34 names on Maine's online sex offender registry before killing two men early on April 16.
Marshall killed himself that evening when police stopped the bus he was riding on near Boston's South Station, investigators said.
Police have been interested in the five-hour gap between the killings of Joseph Gray, 57, at his home in Milo, and William Elliott, 24, who lived 30 miles away in Corinth. Gray was killed at 3:30 a.m.; Elliott was killed at about 8:15 a.m.
Marshall, who lived in Nova Scotia, was visiting his father in Houlton, Maine, when the killings took place. Detectives say he stole two handguns, a rifle and his father's truck.
The Maine Computer Crimes Task Force began examining Marshall's laptop computer last week. Technicians also are expected to examine two other hard drives and some floppy disks seized from Marshall's home in Nova Scotia.