Insurgents in Iraq have kidnapped more than 150 foreigners in their campaign to drive out coalition forces and hamper reconstruction:
— Margaret Hassan, British-born director of CARE International (search). Abducted Oct. 19 in Baghdad. She is later seen on a video broadcast by Al-Jazeera television.
— Jordanian Hisham Talab el-Aza, an administrator for Starlite (search), a transport company that works for the U.S. military. Disappeared Sept. 30. A video shows el-Aza surrounded by militants who demand that Starlite leave Iraq. The company announces it has shut down its operation in Iraq; el-Aza's wife says the kidnappers want $100,000 ransom.
— Two Lebanese electrical workers, Marwan Ibrahim Kassar and Mohammed Jawdat Hussein. A video broadcast Sept. 30 shows masked men holding them at gunpoint. Islamic Army in Iraq claims responsibility.
— Two Egyptian engineers, Mustafa Mohammed Abdel Latif and Mahmmoud Turk. Abducted Sept. 22-23 with four co-workers in and around Baghdad. The four co-workers are later freed.
— Christian Chesnot, 37, and George Malbrunot, 41, French journalists. Disappeared Aug. 20. The Islamic Army in Iraq claims responsibility.
— Aban Elias, 41, Iraqi-American. Seized May 3 by group calling itself the Islamic Rage Brigade.
— Two Macedonians. Al-Jazeera broadcasts parts of a video Oct. 18 from the Islamic Army in Iraq and says unaired footage shows the beheading of two Macedonian men who reportedly were captured near a U.S. base in Iraq.
— A Turkish driver identified as Ramazan Elbu. A video posted Oct. 14 on the Web site of the Ansar al-Sunnah Army shows his beheading.
— Maher Kemal, a Turkish contractor. Internet posting Oct. 11 shows his beheading. A statement says he was captured by the Ansar al-Sunnah Army.
— British engineer Kenneth Bigley, 62. Kidnapped in Baghdad on Sept. 16 with two American co-workers for Gulf Services Co. of the United Arab Emirates. A video issued in the name of Jordanian terror suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi threatens their lives unless the U.S. frees all Iraqi women in custody. The Americans are slain first; Bigley's killing is confirmed Oct. 10.
— Unidentified Turkish hostage. Al-Jazeera reports slaying Oct. 4 and says it received claim in video from Salafist Brigades of Abu Bakr Al-Sidiq.
— Jack Hensley, 48, a civil engineer from Marietta, Ga. Seized Sept. 16; an Internet message posted Sept. 21 reports his killing by al-Zarqawi's followers.
— Eugene "Jack" Armstrong, 52, formerly of Hillsdale, Mich. Kidnapped Sept. 16; a video made public Sept. 20 shows his beheading by al-Zarqawi.
— Akar Besir, a Turkish driver. Body found Sept. 21 near Mosul.
— Durmus Kumdereli, Turkish truck driver. Beheaded in a video made public Sept. 13 but digitally dated Aug. 17. Video posted on a Web site known for carrying statements from Tawhid and Jihad.
— Twelve Nepalese construction workers. One beheaded and 11 shot in the head and killed in a video posted on the Internet Aug. 31. Killings claimed by the Ansar al-Sunnah Army.
— Enzo Baldoni, Italian journalist. Reported killed Aug. 26; the Islamic Army in Iraq had threatened his life.
— Murat Yuce, of Turkey. Shot and killed in video made public Aug. 2 by followers of al-Zarqawi. Worked for Turkish company Bilintur.
— Raja Azad, 49, engineer, and Sajad Naeem, 29, driver, both Pakistani, working for Kuwaiti-based firm. Slain July 28. The Islamic Army in Iraq said they were killed because Pakistan considering sending troops to Iraq.
— Georgi Lazov, 30, and Ivaylo Kepov, 32, Bulgarian truck drivers. Al-Zarqawi's followers suspected of decapitating both men.
— Kim Sun-il, 33, South Korea translator. Beheaded June 22 by al-Zarqawi's group.
— Hussein Ali Alyan, 26, Lebanese construction worker. Found shot to death June 12. Lebanon says killers sought ransom.
— Fabrizio Quattrocchi, 35, Italian security guard. Killed April 14. Previously unknown group, the Green Battalion, claimed responsibility.
— Nicholas Berg, 26, businessman from West Chester, Pa. Beheaded by al-Zarqawi's group after being kidnapped in April.
— Thomas Hamill, 44, American truck driver. Escaped May 2 after being wounded in April 9 ambush on fuel convoy.
— Radoslaw Kadri, Polish businessman. Escaped by jumping from car near U.S. troops after abduction June 1.
HOSTAGES FREED OR RESCUED
— Angelo dela Cruz, Filipino truck driver. Kidnapped July 4. Freed July 22 after Philippines withdrew 51 troops from Iraq.
— Also freed: 34 Turks, 14 Jordanians, 13 Lebanese, seven Egyptians, five Japanese, five Chinese, three Kenyans, three Czechs, five Italians, three Indians, two Indonesians, two Canadians, two Russians, an Australian, a Briton, an American, an Iranian, a Pakistani, a Somali, a Frenchman, a Pole, a Syrian-Canadian, and an Arab Christian from East Jerusalem.
MISSING IN IRAQ
— U.S. Army Spc. Keith M. Maupin (search), 20, of Batavia, Ohio. Disappeared April 9 after attack on a fuel convoy. Arab television reported June 29 that he was killed but did not broadcast a video it said showed his shooting death. U.S. military could not confirm that a man shown being shot in videotape was Maupin; he is officially listed by the military as missing.
— William Bradley of Chesterfield, N.H., and Timothy Bell of Mobile, Ala. Truckers last seen after April 9 convoy attack.
RETURNED FROM IRAQ
— Marine Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun. Failed to report for duty in Iraq June 20. Videotaped images showed him apparently kidnapped. Emerged unharmed in Lebanon, July 8. Returned to the United States. Denies having deserted.