FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. – A U.S. soldier suspected of a deadly grenade attack on his own comrades in the 101st Airborne Division in Kuwait is back in the United States, Army officials said Saturday.
Hasan Akbar, 32, arrived in the U.S. on Friday, after being held in a detention facility in Germany, according to a statement from Fort Campbell, home of the 101st.
The Army had previously said Akbar's first name was Asan, though family members had insisted all along that he spelled it Hasan.
The statement, released Saturday, did not indicate where Akbar was being held in the U.S., or if he had returned to Fort Campbell. "He is being held while preliminary legal proceedings take place," the statement said.
Akbar is the only person being held in the grenade attack that killed two U.S. officers and wounded 14 other soldiers on March 23. Last week he was transferred from Kuwait to the military detention center in Mannheim, Germany.
A military judge found probable cause that Akbar committed the attack, the Army said. Akbar has still not been formally charged with any offense, the statement said.
Military legal experts have said it's possible Akbar could be charged with intentional murder, one count of attempted murder for everyone in the tent during the attack and aggravated assault.
Officials are still investigating the attack, which killed Army Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pa., and Air Force Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, of Boise, Idaho.