An announcement on the floor of the House Thursday revealed that Rep. Gary Condit, D-Calif., has been subpoenaed by a grand jury in Washington for undisclosed documents related to the disappearance of federal intern Chandra Levy.

Condit's lawyer Abbe Lowell confirmed the notice and said the congressman will comply.

The subpoena indicates that a grand jury is still interested in the disappearance of 24-year-old Levy on April 30, though news of her search all but dried up after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

Metro Police Chief Charles Ramsey said several weeks ago that a tip line had fallen silent since the attacks, putting a virtual stop to its investigation.

The announcement on the floor was provided by Condit, who like all members is bound by House rules to report when he receives subpoenas.

Lowell did not disclose what documents the grand jury wants.

"Issuing a subpoena was not necessary," Lowell said. "However, whatever the reasons were for its issuance, Congressman Condit and his office will, as they have in the past, provide the information law enforcement seeks."

Levy, of Modesto, Calif., in Condit's district, disappeared days before she was scheduled to return home to collect her master's degree in Public Administration from the University of Southern California.  She had been in Washington to intern for the Bureau of Prisons in Washington and met Condit when she went to visit a friend who worked for the congressman.

Condit, 53 and married, acknowledged having an intimate relationship with Levy, according to a police source, but denied any involvement in her disappearance.

Since Levy is still missing, police are not ready to label her disappearance a crime.  They say Condit is not a suspect. Police interviewed Condit four times, searched his Washington apartment, took a DNA sample and examined phone and other records.

Federal law enforcement officials have said they were examining whether Condit and his aides may have obstructed the search for Levy by asking other women who alleged affairs with the congressman not to cooperate with police.  Condit and his aides have denied attempting to silence anyone.

A seven-term congressman, Condit's popularity in his district plummeted after the revelations and his prolonged silence.  But Condit is still considering whether to seek re-election and is currently collecting signatures to get on the ballot. He must decide by Dec. 7.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.