A man plowed a truck through crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, France, on Thursday, killing 84. Another 50 were still "between life and death" as of Friday morning, French president Francois Hollande said.

With the Tour de France in progress, race officials had to decide whether to continue the event in the wake of the attack. From USA Today:

"Today, we want to pay homage to the victims with dignity," Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said Friday, wearing a black armband around his blue shirt and holding back tears. "We have been asking ourselves if the race should continue and after consulting with authorities we have decided that it should. The Tour de France will continue in a subdued and solemn manner."

More from FoxSports

Le coeur du Tour bat pour Nice. #NousSommesUnis pic.twitter.com/2xtmfqWgWf

— Le Tour de France (@LeTour) July 15, 2016

In addition to posting messages of support on social media, the Tour held a moment of silence at the finish line to begin the day and toned down the previously festive atmosphere around the event.

Minute de silence au départ / Minute of silence at the start this morning #PrayForNice pic.twitter.com/FMihoxKNUZ

— Le Tour de France (@LeTour) July 15, 2016

Defending champion Chris Froome, who's currently leading this year's race, also tweeted his thoughts.