Soccer

UEFA dismisses Fenerbahce protest over Shakhtar Donetsk doping case

ISTANBUL, TURKEY - JULY 28: Fred of Shaktar Donetsk rides the ball past Fenerbahce's Souza during UEFA Champions League Third Qualifying Round 1st Leg match betweeen Fenerbahce v Shakhtar Donetsk at Sukru Saracoglu Stadium on July 28, 2015 in Istanbul, Turkey. (Photo by Burak Kara/Getty Images)

ISTANBUL, TURKEY - JULY 28: Fred of Shaktar Donetsk rides the ball past Fenerbahce's Souza during UEFA Champions League Third Qualifying Round 1st Leg match betweeen Fenerbahce v Shakhtar Donetsk at Sukru Saracoglu Stadium on July 28, 2015 in Istanbul, Turkey. (Photo by Burak Kara/Getty Images)

NYON, Switzerland --

UEFA says it dismissed Fenerbahce's protest against Shakhtar Donetsk fielding a player in a Champions League qualifying match who previously tested positive for doping at the Copa America.

The 0-0 result stands for the teams' third qualifying round, first-leg match in Turkey last week ahead of the return match on Wednesday in Lviv, Ukraine.

More from FoxSports

UEFA says Shakhtar's Brazil midfielder Fred had not been suspended by South American confederation CONMEBOL when the first leg was played.

Still, Fred is unlikely to play on Wednesday because of the doping case.

Fred tested positive for a banned diuretic with Brazil at the Copa America in Chile in June. The substance, hydrochlorothiazide, can hide the presence of other drugs.

Shakhtar acknowledged selecting Fred to face Fenerbahce in Istanbul against UEFA advice.