Johannesburg, South Africa (SportsNetwork.com) - Australian-born former tennis champion Bob Hewitt was found guilty Monday in South Africa of raping and assaulting young girls whom he coached in the early 1980s.
The 75-year-old Hewitt had pleaded not guilty to two charges of rape and one of indecent assault, which were brought against him by three women in 2013.
Judge Bert Bam at the South Gauteng High Court outside Johannesburg described the evidence against the former doubles star as "overwhelming."
At the trial, his victims said that Hewitt assaulted them during private tennis lessons when they were young girls.
"Time did not erase the crimes. A guilty person should not go unpunished. The scales of justice tip against the accused," Bam said.
One woman testified that Hewitt had told her "rape is enjoyable" as he assaulted her.
One of his victims said the former Grand Slam champion raped her in his car before tennis practice in 1982, when she was 12 years old.
Another victim told the court he had touched her inappropriately 34 years ago and forced her to perform a sex act on him when she was 12 and 13.
The judge said Hewitt manipulated the young girls and they were intimidated by him.
Hewitt won several Grand Slam doubles titles during his career in the 1960s and 1970s and was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1992.
But his name was removed from the Hall of Fame in 2012, following sexual abuse allegations.
Hewitt was born in Australia but has spent much of his life in South Africa.
He had been supported throughout the trial by his wife Dalaille.
The former champion has also been plagued by allegations of sexual abuse in the United States where he once spent lived.
South African courts often hear cases of rape, but cases dating back for decades are rare.
A sentencing date has not been set.