FILE - In this Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013 file photo Australia's Bernard Tomic plays a shot to Kevin Anderson of South Africa during the men's final at the Sydney International tennis tournament in Sydney, Australia. Bernard Tomic's hitting partner Thomas Drouet has called for the father of the Australian tennis player to be banned after he was allegedly assaulted on Saturday May 4, 2013. John Tomic has been charged with assault after allegedly headbutting Drouet ahead of this week's Madrid Open. (AP Photo/Rick Rycroft, File)The Associated Press
PARIS – Bernard Tomic's hitting partner is calling for the Australian tennis player's father to be banned from the sport following an alleged assault.
John Tomic was charged with assault after allegedly head-butting the hitting partner, Thomas Drouet, on Saturday before this week's Madrid Open.
In an interview with French sports daily L'Equipe on Tuesday, Drouet says he wants "to help Bernard forbid his father from having access to tournaments" and for him "to be banned from the ATP and the WTA."
Drouet says he saw the elder Tomic hit his son last week, adding "What next? He is a dangerous person, who has nothing to do in this sport of gentlemen."
A Madrid court said Monday that John Tomic disputed the charges and will face trial May 14.