Cosby scores 19 points, Edwin adds 15 as Seton Hall never trails in defeating Maine 76-49

Seton Hall got one key player back and lost another Wednesday night in its 76-49 victory over Maine.

Sophomore Aaron Cosby, slowed by a preseason knee injury, came off the bench to score 12 of his 19 points in the second half to help Seton Hall (4-1) wrap up its triumph over Maine (0-4), but Pirates starter Patrik Auda broke a bone in his right foot and could be lost for the season.

"There is no point in bringing him back after missing three months," Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard said of Auda, a 6-foot-9 forward. "I'd rather redshirt him and have him for the extra year."

Willard issued a challenge to Cosby on Tuesday, and the guard responded with a big game against Maine, leading a decisive 11-1 run that put the game out of reach for the Pirates.

"Coach challenged me to get back in game shape and tonight I felt like I was returning to form," Cosby said. "It was kind of frustrating for me because of the injury."

He said he didn't do anything for three weeks because of the sprained ligament in his knee.

"I was in the gym three times before the game (Wednesday). I'm just trying to get back in game shape," Cosby added. "I've never really been injured before. I was heartbroken because I worked so hard in the offseason. In the long run this is going to make me stronger mentally."

Seton Hall led 46-33 when Cosby started the run with a layup. He later hit a 3-pointer and a layup in the burst and was credited with the assist on Brian Oliver's jumper that pushed the Pirates' lead to 55-34 with 10:22 showing.

Fuquan Edwin scored 10 of his 15 points in the first half for Seton Hall. Oliver, who contributed two baskets in the 11-1 run, ended with 10 points.

"I liked the way (Cosby) played," Edwin said. "When he's aggressive like that, we're a much harder team to defend."

Kevin Johnson, a 6-9, 240-pound freshman, may fill the void while Auda is out. In just three minutes of action for Seton Hall in the closing minutes, Johnson scored five points, blocked two shots and made a steal.

"I loved everything about it," Edwin said of Johnson. "We're definitely going to need him and coach is going to give him a chance to play now."

Kyle Smyth's four-point play with 9:54 left ignited a 13-6 burst to end the first half, handing the Pirates a 31-20 lead at the break. Smyth was fouled as he drained a 3-pointer from the right corner and followed by making the bonus.

Maine received most of its offense in the first 20 minutes from guard Justin Edwards, who had 14 of his team's 20 points. Edwards finished with 18 points for the Black Bears.