Kings, Devils headed to overtime in Game 1

The Los Angeles Kings and New Jersey Devils are headed to overtime in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

With the teams tied 1-1, the Devils scored a goal 3:58 into the third period, but they did so illegally. A diving Jonathan Quick reached back and made a stick save at the goal line, robbing New Jersey captain Zach Parise, who violated the rule book by shoveling the puck in with his glove.

Jordan Nolan then tried to sneak a wraparound past New Jersey goaltender Martin Brodeur at the 8:20 mark. Brodeur, though, sealed off the right post.

The Devils came close to taking the lead as Mark Fayne was all alone at the right side, but fired the puck wide of an open net off a rebound.

Los Angeles then had a prime opportunity to move back in front, but Brodeur stacked the pads to deny Drew Doughty from the slot with 7:28 to play.

Quick ended regulation with 15 saves, while Brodeur stopped 21 shots.

The start to the game was long on whistles and short on shots as the teams played cautiously.

Los Angeles created pressure with its aggressive forecheck behind the New Jersey net, resulting in the series' first goal. Nolan pushed defenseman Andy Greene off the puck and fed out front to Colin Fraser, who beat Brodeur on a one-timer from the right circle at the 9:56 mark of the first period.

Moments after Devils forward David Clarkson missed the net on a scoring chance, Kings captain Dustin Brown bumped into Brodeur. Los Angeles negated the power play as Quick made a big save on Travis Zajac's wrister.

Quick made another save off a draw to his right in the period's latter stages, getting his left pad on Bryce Salvador's point drive, one of the five shots he faced over the opening 20 minutes.

Los Angeles also recorded five first-period shots.

New Jersey was granted another power play in the second period when Jarret Stoll tripped Ryan Carter while the duo pursued a loose puck. But the Devils remained without a shot in the frame until Parise drove the net shorthanded with 5 1/2 minutes remaining.

Devils forward Dainius Zubrus, who is making his first appearance in the Cup Finals since 1997, when he was an 18-year-old rookie with Philadelphia, finished serving his infraction for elbowing and nearly tied the game with a shot off Quick's glove.

New Jersey finally was able to sustain pressure in the offensive zone and pulled even when the rebound of Anton Volchenkov's shot from the left boards caromed in off a body in front with 1:12 left.