ST. PAUL–One day after signing forward Devin Setoguchi to a three-year contract, the San Jose Sharks traded him to the Minnesota Wild, the team hosting the 2011 NHL Entry Draft here. The Sharks sent Setoguchi, 2010 first-round pick Charlie Coyle and their first-round pick this year (No. 28) to the Wild for defenseman Brent Burns and a second-round pick next year.
The blockbuster draft-day deal Friday gives the Sharks the top-four defenseman they had been seeking. The 26-year-old Burns had 17 goals and 29 assists last season.
"We are getting a player who is dominant and coming into his own," said San Jose GM Doug Wilson. "We think Brent will play even better with our players."
San Jose had to pay a high price and Wilson lamented trading "two home-grown players" in Setoguchi and Coyle. He told reporters inside Xcel Energy Center that "I might be biased but defenseman is the most important position on the team." He admitted to deciding that this postseason's playoff loss to Vancouver left him feeling like the Sharks back-line needed some boosting.
Setoguchi overcame a lackluster start last season before finishing with 22 goals and 19 assists. The deal comes a day after he signed a $9 million, three-year contract.