Richmond defeats Seton Hall 69-61

Justin Harper scored 24 points, 18 of which came on 3-pointers, leading Richmond to a 69-61 victory over Seton Hall on Sunday.

The victory was the second straight road win for the Spiders (10-3), who won at UNC-Greensboro on Wednesday night. The Pirates (6-6) lost for the second straight time at home to an Atlantic 10 opponent.

Kevin Anderson added 14 points, 10 of which came in the final 10 minutes of the game. Anderson sealed the victory with a clutch 3-pointer with a minute left and added a driving basket with 26 seconds left that put the game away.

Jeff Robinson led Seton Hall with 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, while Jordan Theodore had 15 points and Fuquan Edwin added 12 for the Pirates.

Seton Hall shot just 25 percent in the second half (8 for 32) and scored just two points in the final 5:38.

The two teams played a spirited first half, trading the lead six times, before Seton Hall took a five-point lead, 33-28, with 2:41 remaining, when Robinson scored on a running shot off glass.

Seton Hall maintained the lead into halftime, taking a 35-30 lead into the break.

Robinson completed a conventional 3-point play with 18:35 remaining that gave the Pirates their biggest lead at 39-31, but the Spiders came crawling back, scoring the next eight points to tie the game at 39, with four different Richmond players contributing to the run.

The teams then exchanged the lead six more times in the final 16 minutes. Kevin Anderson nailed three free throws to give Richmond a 50-48 lead with 11:30 left and Harper pushed the lead to four, 53-49, on another 3-pointer with 10:48 left.

But the undaunted Pirates went on a 9-0 run to retake the lead. Theodore started things with a running jumper, then Keon Lawrence’s 3-pointer gave the Pirates a 54-53 lead with 9:56 to go. Herb Pope scored on a power move down low and Theodore made his second jumper to cap the run, giving the Pirates a 58-53 lead.

Harper continued his brilliant shooting as he nailed another deep 3 to give Richmond a 62-59 lead with 3:45 remaining, capping a 9-1 run. Richmond maintained the lead for the remainder of the game.

After Harper’s 3-pointer, Darrius Garrett slammed home a bucket to make it 64-59 with 2:34 left and Anderson’s 3 and driving goal sealed the Pirates’ fate.