The Texas federal judge who suspended President Obama’s executive actions on immigration has rebuffed the Justice Department's request that he consider lifting that order by Wednesday. 

Earlier this week, the Obama administration asked U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen to let the immigration programs go forward while the court case played out. The DOJ urged Hanen to decide by Wednesday. 

But Hanen said he won’t honor the request because he has given those challenging the actions until Monday to respond to the department’s request. 

Hanen issued his injunction Feb. 16 to halt Obama’s executive actions, which would spare as many as 5 million illegal immigrations from deportation.

Texas leads the 26-state coalition that sought the injunction, arguing Obama's executive actions are unconstitutional.

The administration asked Hanen on Monday to stay the injunction while it appeals his ruling in the 5th U.S. Circuit Court in New Orleans.

"The law is on our side, and history is on our side," Obama said after Hanen ordered the temporary halt. "This is not the first time where a lower court judge has blocked something or attempted to block something that ultimately is going to be lawful, and I'm confident that it is well within my authority."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.