Ann Romney, putting the 2012 presidential campaign in stark terms, told Fox News that "if Mitt wins, the country wins" and "if Mitt loses, the country loses."
The wife of the Republican presidential candidate discussed her husband's aspirations during a lengthy interview with her husband in San Diego. Describing the stakes, she said the country is "in danger" and pitched her husband as the man to correct course.
"I believe if Mitt wins, the country wins. If Mitt loses, the country loses," she said. "I really believe that. I think that we are at a ... a real fork in the road as to which direction this country can go in, and I really believe that there is a sense in the country that we are in danger, and that we have got to turn this country around."
Asked about any disagreements the couple has, Romney said she doesn't think they're "ever exactly on the same page 100 percent."
She added, "I completely support 90 percent of where Mitt is," without going into specifics on the other 10 percent -- noting "I'm not the one running for president."
Mitt Romney, who clinched the GOP nomination by winning the Texas primary Tuesday, said that so far he's tried not to read any of the "negative" coverage of his campaign.
But he did accuse President Obama's campaign and its supporters of trying to "denigrate me as a person."
"They said early on that their objective in that campaign was to quote 'kill Mitt Romney' -- now not literally but figuratively obviously," he said.
Romney said he's running because he cares "very deeply about the country."
The Obama campaign has run a string of tough ads and videos on Romney in recent weeks, digging into his tenure at private equity firm Bain Capital. The next phase is to target his days as Massachusetts governor.
Obama campaign strategist David Axelrod was heading to Boston Thursday as part of a push to highlight Romney's gubernatorial days. He recently issued a five-page campaign memo casting Romney as a poor steward of the state economy during his tenure as governor.
Obama has justified his attacks on Romney's track record at Bain Capital by arguing his opponent has been steering the national dialogue towards his business experience rather than his time as governor.
"Governor Romney, his main calling card for why he thinks he should be president is his business expertise," the president said in Chicago on May 21. "He is not going out there touting his experience in Massachusetts. He is saying, I'm a business guy and I know how to fix it, and this is his business."