North Korea is reportedly preparing to test-fire its Taepodong-2 missile, according to Reuters. Officials in Pyongyang have insisted the launch is part of a peaceful space program.
"We will discuss a response if we are not successful in convincing them not to go forward with what is a very provocative act," Clinton told reporters in Washington, without elaborating.
"There are a range of options available to take action against the North Koreans in the wake of a missile launch if they pursue that."
Earlier Wednesday, North Korea took its first swipe at President Obama, accusing the administration of meddling.
"The new administration of the U.S. is now working hard to infringe upon the sovereignty" of North Korea "by force of arms," the North's Foreign Ministry said in a statement that also accused Obama's government of "seriously interfering in its internal affairs" in both "words and deeds."
Kim Yong-hyun, a professor at Seoul's Dongguk University, told the Associated Press that the statement was the Foreign Ministry's first on the U.S. since Obama's inauguration.
"The Foreign Ministry is Washington's direct negotiating partner and has not engaged in criticized the U.S. so far," Yong-hyun said. "This means they have started expressed pent-up complaints."
The statement did not elaborate on the alleged meddling, but North Korea has rejected U.S. demands from neighboring government that it halt the rocket plan, claiming it has the right to launch a satellite.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.