This Hispanic Heritage Month Fox News Latino takes you on culinary trip that will land on your cocina five mouthwatering dishes from our diverse and rich Latino cuisine. Enjoy!
• 3 cups water
• 3-4 cinnamon sticks
• 5-6 cloves
• 1 inch piece fresh ginger
• 2 cups short of medium grain rice
• 12 ounce can coconut milk
• 12 ounce can evaporated milk
• 14 ounce can condensed milk
• ½ to ¾ cup raisins
• Ground cinnamon
1. Add water, cinnamon sticks, cloves and ginger to a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
2. Strain to remove spices. Add same water back to pot.
3. Add rice and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
4. Add coconut, evaporated and condensed milk and continue to cook on low until rice is tender to your preference. Mix frequently so that rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
5. When ready, fold in raisins
6. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
Tip: If rice is not tender enough or has dried out, add milk ½ cup at a time and sugar to taste.
Serves a crowd.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.