The parents of a Utah toddler who suffocated and died at a day care center Thursday are seeking answers after police said an employee accidentally sat on a beanbag chair that he was hiding under.
The employee was allegedly unaware that Leonardo Sanchez, who would have turned 2 this week, was under the chair and sat on it while reading a book to the rest of the children. He was found unconsious 10 to 15 minutes later and was given CPR before being rushed to the hospital, The Salt Lake Tribune reported.
“It just baffles me, makes me wonder, she must not have felt him, she must not have heard him,” Danielle Sanchez, Leonardo’s mother, told Fox 13. “It’s a tragedy what happened. It’s rough because you don’t know when the last time is you are going to hold your child.”
More From FoxNews.com
Police are investigating video footage from the West Jordan Child Center, but said that the employee is not facing charges at this time.
The day care center, which has been in violation twice in the past five years, released a statement regarding the child’s death.
“We regret deeply the tragic death of a young toddler at our daycare facility. No words adequately describe the depth of the sorrow we feel,” the statement read, according to Fox 13. “And, of course, we do not pretend to understand how devastating this is for the family. We know the family well, we grieve with them, and we pray that God will provide them the comfort and peace they inevitably will need.”
Sanchez told Fox 13 she believes the accident could have been prevented and is seeking legal representation. According to a GoFundMe page set up for the family, loved ones are planning to hold funeral services for Leo on what would have been the boy's 2nd birthday.