These meatballs are a rich source of high-quality protein containing all of the essential amino acids found in beef.
These meatballs are a rich source of high-quality protein containing all of the essential amino acids found in beef. They also have excellent flavor and are easy to make.
• 2 ½ pounds ground beef
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground pepper
• 1 cup breadcrumbs
• 2 eggs
• ¼ cup milk
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 – 15 ounce can stewed tomatoes
• 2 cups water
• 4-5 green olives, sliced
• 3 avocados, sliced
1. In a large mixing bowl, crumble beef and mix with breadcrumbs, 2 teaspoons salt, cumin, ground pepper, parsley, half the onions and half the garlic.
2. Add eggs and milk and shape into meatballs.
3. In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil. Then add meatballs and brown on all sides. Set aside.
4. In the same skillet, sauté onions, garlic and green peppers for one minute. Push to one side of skillet, then add stewed tomatoes and break down using potato masher.
5. Add water, green olives and salt to taste.
6. Add meatballs, simmer covered for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, transfer to a serving dish.
8. Serve with sliced avocado.
Makes 20-25 meatballs. Serves 6
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.