• 1-15.5 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
• ¼ cup liquid from can of chickpeas
• 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
• 1 ½ tablespoons tahini paste (optional)
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chilies
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• Red bell pepper, diced
• 2-3 seedless cucumbers
1. Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can.
2. Combine remaining ingredients (except cucumber, red bell pepper and cilantro) in blender or food processor including ¼ cup of liquid from chickpeas.
3. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
4. Mix in cilantro ,place in bowl and set aside.
5. Peel cucumbers leaving some skin creating a striped design.
6. Slice cucumbers about 3/4” thick.
7. With a melon baller or small spoon scoop out most of the inside creating a cup.
8. Fill cups with hummus mixture.
9. Top with diced red pepper and serve.
10. If Tahini paste is not available, it’s easy to make your own! You will need 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds (toast at 350 degrees for 5 mins), ½ teaspoon sesame or olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons water.
11. Place sesame seeds in a blender or food processor and grind until smooth. Add oil and salt. Process until combined. Then add the water and blend until smooth.
Makes 24-30 cups.