These cupcakes from The Kitchen Paper are deliciously dense and more cake-like than any flourless dessert we've ever made. Top them off with a chocolate cream cheese frosting and you have the perfect, most chocolatey cupcakes you can possibly make. Click here for more recipes like this from The Kitchen Paper.
For the cupcakes:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- ½ cup butter, chopped into pieces
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 4 ounces regular cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate and melt in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted.
- Whisk until the chocolate is also melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, then eggs, until smooth.
- Sift the cocoa powder and espresso powder into the mixture, and mix until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner ⅔ full.
- Bake until the tops are set, about 15 minutes.
- Let fully cool before frosting.
- For frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter together in a stand mixer. Mix until fully incorporated, light, and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder, then powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, then divide evenly among cupcakes.