Add a little southern flavor to your holiday table with this delicious sausage- and greens-loaded stuffing featuring Progresso’s new Cooking Stock simmered with real bones.
- 2 lb homemade or purchased cornbread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (11 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 serrano chiles, seeded, finely chopped (1 to 2 tablespoons)
- 1 bunch collard greens, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (6 cups)
- 2 cups Progresso™ chicken stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease or spray 2 cookie sheets. Place cubed cornbread on cookie sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dry and crispy. Cool completely on cookie sheet.
- Meanwhile, in 6-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook sausage in butter 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. With slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl; set aside. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and serrano chiles to Dutch oven. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned on edges.
- Add greens; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted. Add stock; heat to simmering. Cook 1 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, using spoon to release browned bits from bottom of pan. Remove from heat. Cool 5 minutes.
- Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Add eggs, parsley and thyme to bowl with sausage. Stir in cornbread. Pour stock mixture over stuffing ingredients in bowl. Pour into baking dish. Cover with foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until browned and crisp on top. Cool 5 minutes before serving.