This is a simple salad to make, but the flavors and textures are complex and delicious. The watermelon lends a subtle sweetness to the peppery arugula and rich goat cheese, and the spiced candied walnuts give it the perfect crunch with just a hint of spice! Because the flavoring of the components is already so robust, Danielle chose to use a minimal dressing of just lemon juice, olive oil, and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar. If you can’t have balsamic or can’t find one without added sugar, this Citrus Dressing works really well on it too.
- 6 Pieces of watermelon, cut to 1 inch thickness
- 2 cup Baby arugula
- 2 tablespoon Fresh mint, chopped
- 2 teaspoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Spiced candied walnuts, roughly chopped
- Using a large biscuit cutter, or just great circle cutting knife skills!, cut the watermelon slices into round circles. Use a knife to trim off any parts that make the circle uneven so it sits flat on a plate.
- In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with the mint, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the watermelon circles on a plate, then top each with a small handful of the arugula mixture (roughly 1/3 cup each).
- Sprinkle each salad with goat cheese and the chopped walnuts, then drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the tops. Enjoy!