No barbecue spread would be complete without a saucy, savory helping of baked beans. Every Saturday, the grill experts at Formaggio Kitchen dish out their coveted baked bean recipe to a line of die-hard fans wrapped around the block. Now it's your chance to try out the recipe and recreate the magic in your own home.
- 1 pound Dried beans
- 3 Thick slices of (Niman Ranch) bacon cut into large strips
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoon FK BBQ Rub
- Salt to taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- Rinse and soak beans overnight
- Put beans in pot with onion, bacon, and bay leaves. Fill with enough water to cover beans by an inch. Bring to a slow boil and add salt when boil commences. Gently boil beans until just tender.
- Meanwhile combine all other ingredients to create your bean sauce and set aside.
- Drain beans, saving some of the liquid. Transfer beans to an oven-safe pot, mix in your bean sauce, and half of your reserved liquid if needed. Put beans into a 275 F oven right from a boil. Cook, stirring every so often, until a dark, slightly charred look on the top is acquired.