"Quinoa with caramelized butternut squash and roasted brussels sprouts is a delicious vegetarian side dish," says Kristin Porter of Iowa Girl Eats.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- scant 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 9 oz shaved brussels sprouts (I used Green Giant brand)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- garlic salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups 1/2 inch cubed butternut squash
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add rinsed quinoa (be sure to rinse well in fine mesh sieve under cold running water - even quinoa that comes "pre-rinsed".) Place a lid on top then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork then set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees then line a baking sheet with foil. Add brussels sprouts, oil, garlic salt, and pepper to baking sheet then toss with fingers to evenly coat. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt butter in a large cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and butternut squash then saute, stirring every so often - more so near the end - until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine quinoa, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, parmesan cheese, and pepitas in a large bowl then toss and serve with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.