"On a recent trip to Rome, I ate true carbonara for the first time, and re-fell in love with a dish I was already pretty in love with," says Dan Whalen of The Food In My Beard. "This fall version is rich with egg yolks and bacon, and loaded with browned yet still crisp brussel sprouts."
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 pound pasta
- 5 strips Jones Dairy Farm bacon
- 15 brussel sprouts - shredded
- 1/2 cup parm
- Salt and pepper
- Get some pasta water boiling with lots of salt. Cook the bacon in a pan to crisp up. Meanwhile, drop the pasta and cook to al dente.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and cook to lightly char on high heat. Add the pasta directly from the pot into the bacon fat and Brussels sprout mixture and stir to combine. Add about a half cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Pour the pasta into a large bowl and immediately stir in the egg yolks. Toss well to combine and allow the yolks to form a rich sauce. Add the parm and mix. Add more pasta cooking liquid if needed. Serve with lots of black pepper.
Stuffed: The Ultimate Comfort Food Cookbook: Taking Your Favorite Foods and Stuffing Them to Make New, Different and Delicious Meals
Dan Whalen is the founder and creator of the popular recipe blog The Food in my Beard. In the past 6 years since the website's inception, he has published over 1000 recipes that have been viewed over 12 million times. He has been featured in many prestigious publications such as Saveur, Bon Appetit, Serious Eats, Fine Cooking, Boston.com, MSNBC, and Huffington Post.